Cooperative Threat Reduction (CTR) Program: Support for the DPRK Pressure Campaign
This project supports the pressure campaign against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) by training partners to fully implement United Nations Security Council resolutions targeting the DPRK, detect and halt DPRK-linked sanctions evasion activities, and impede the DPRK’s prohibited commercial and financial activities that fund the development of weapons of mass destruction (WMD).
These efforts include:
- Training government entities, such as financial intelligence units, law enforcement, financial supervisors, and the private sector to identify DPRK-linked proliferation finance activity and implement counterproliferation finance controls;
- Training publicly and privately-operated shipping registries to conduct proper due diligence to identify, deregister, and report DPRK-linked vessels;
- Training private sector stakeholders including commodity brokers, financial institutions/banks, shipping insurers, chartering services, and other entities to proactively identify and report DPRK illicit shipping practices;
- Engaging central banks, private financial institutions, cryptocurrency exchanges, and designated non-financial businesses and professions to prevent DPRK cyber exploitation;
- Convening labor and health ministries, immigration, foreign affairs, and law enforcement officials to improve interagency activism on identifying and expelling DPRK nationals, as well as preventing the use of DPRK diplomats to engage in illicit commerce to generate revenue for DPRK WMD programs; and
Producing reports based on rigorous open-source and commercially available information to identify case studies, typologies, and red flags for capacity-building purposes that illustrate evolving DPRK sanctions evasion practices.
Risk Area(s) covered
Sao Tome and Principe
United Arab Emirates
Start Date: January 1, 2017
ASI Database Release
Providers and Implementers ?
|Implementer||United States Department of State||State|
Related Projects & Programs
Parent Program: Cooperative Threat Reduction (CTR) Program